NaNoWriMo which is also known as National Novel Writing Month is an annual internet based creative writing project that takes place during the month of November. It takes place every year during the month of November. This event tasks writers of all ages to write a minimum of 50,000 words. The event lasts for about a month and begins around November 1 until midnight on the 30th of November.
This well-loved writing event was made to give up-and coming writers a chance to show their abilities and their work. The website not only gives writers a chance to show their work but also gives tips and other forms of aid to writers. The websites main intent for this event is to see how writers are able to cope with a deadline and make the necessary changes and corrections later. Although in truth the event’s main intent is to reach as many writers all over the world and instill in them a creative spirit.
Here are 20 things you should know about NaNoWriMo if you are interested in joining the event.
- This annual event started in July with a mere 21 participants. And through the years a multitude of people have taken part in the event and has made it into a highly respected event for writers all over the world.
- Anyone can participate in the event and can register on the projects website. Through this website they can put their profiles as authors and their work. This includes synopses and excerpts and other tidbits of their work. The word count is taken into account by the site. Municipal leaders and regional forums help connect local writers, holding writing events and providing encouragement.
- This event in many ways is like a marathon run for writers. The time limit of one month is a pressure filled period for any writer. In many ways the event is all about the writer’s ability to keep going despite the difficulties and mental fatigue that will undoubtedly accompany the challenge. The challenge is also a way for writers to test themselves against writers block.
- NaNoWriMo despite its name is still open to all writers of all genders and nationalities.
- You do not need an existing account in order to join up.
- You are given free writing tips should you have an account with a website. It is technically a crash course on being a faster more efficient writer.
- NaNoWriMo does not allow having a co-author with your work. This event is all about being able to cope with the stresses of being a writer.
- You cannot use other people’s manuscripts and just add in your words to make it look as if you made it yourself. Your work must be from scratch and should be as original as possible. Remember that the main intent of this event is to show off your creativity and resourcefulness as a writer.
- You can still use outlines for your story.
- The minimum is 50,000 words. So once you are able to reach that mark. You are eligible to submit it.
- It is ok to make mistakes in your work. The book is all about how you are able to cope with the stresses of writing a novel in a very short amount of time. So your work does not have to be perfect. What really matters is that you are able to handle the pressure and deliver on time.
- One of your greatest enemies during this event is writers block. But in a way, it is also the events most potent judge, because only through these challenges are you given the chance to see how good you are at fighting against writer’s block.
- It should be understood that your work is immensely important when it comes to your future as a writer. Which is why it is very important that you save your work in a very safe place. It is also quite important that you have multiple copies just in case the original copy was lost.
- Although you should make your work as original as possible. You can still ask other writers for advice on how to be more efficient when it comes to writing.
- You can look into Social Media sites that are affiliated with the event to gather more information and tips on how to schedule your work.
- You should constantly be in control of your work. 50,000 words in just a month is not an easy thing to accomplish. Which is why you should really adhere to a schedule and a quota of how many words you should write every day. Be very careful with your time management, because if you are not careful you would find yourself in a fight against the clock.
- You do not get a prize for being the first to submit your work. In truth the fact that you were able to write a 50,000 word novel in such a small amount of time is already a victory for you.
- You should take into account that very few precautions are taken to prevent cheating; since the only significant reward for winning is the finished novel itself and the satisfaction of having written it, there is little incentive to cheat.
- It is important to point out that you do not really win a big prize for the event. It is all about being able to create a 50,000 word novel and the feeling of fulfillment you get from accomplishing it.
- Always remember that this meant to challenge you as a writer, so it is important that you give it your all.